CCS is a Nut-Safe School
Due to the life-threatening allergies of some of our students, Creighton Community School has been declared a Peanut and Tree Nut Safe School. These students may experience anaphylaxis if even the tiniest amount of of peanuts or tree nuts enters his/her body (through the mouth, eyes, or nose). With a severe allergic attack, death could result in minutes without medical treatment.
All food brought into the school must be free of peanuts and tree nuts. Please check the labels of food products to avoid "hidden ingredients that may be threatening.
All items sold in the canteen are completely nut free.
How to be Nut-Safe
How to pack a safe lunch:
- Read labels to check for hidden tree nuts or peanuts
- Use clean kitchen tools to prepare lunched (do not use a knife that has been used to spread peanut butter)
- Make lunches ahead of time and refrigerate
- Use ice packs to keep food cool
- Make sandwiches and freeze to thaw for lunch (without vegetables or mayonnaise)
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly, even if labelled "pre-washed"
- Wash containers after each use to kill bacteria
- Use reusable plastic or glass containers instead of reusing plastic bags that will harbour bacteria
- Remind your child to wash their hands before and after eating
Possible food sources of nuts:
- Almond/hazelnut paste (Nutella), icing, glazes, marzipan, nougat
- Artificial nuts (peanuts altered to look like other nuts
- Baked goods (breads, cakes, cookies, donuts, muffins, pastries, etc.)
- Desserts (frozen desserts, frozen yogurts, ice cream, sundae toppings, etc.)
- Dried salad dressing, soup mix, baking mix
- Fried foods
- Hydrolyzed plant protein/vegetable protein (source may be peanuts)
- Natural flavouring and extracts (such as pure almond extract)
- Peanut oil
- Snack foods (candy, chocolate, dried fruit, energy/granola bars, popcorn, potato chips, trail mix)
- Vegetarian/Vegan meat substitutes
- Sauces (BBQ, pesto, Worcestershire, etc.)
Possible non-food sources of nuts:
- Ant baits, bird feed, mouse traps, pet food
- Bean bags, hacky sacks
- Cosmetics, sunscreens, lotions
- Craft materials